Primary Care Physicians (PCPs) provide primary medical care services to patients regularly. They diagnose and treat illness, perform routine physical examinations, and refer patients to a specialist if required.
They help you to maintain and promote health to prevent avoidable visits to an urgent care center or hospital emergency room. There are various online sources from where you can find the best primary care doctor in your city.
Image Source: Google
PCPs fall into four specialties:
- Family Practice Specialists (treat patients of all ages)
- Internal Medicine Specialists (treat adults)
- Obstetricians/Gynecologists (treat women, particularly pregnant women)
- Pediatricians (treat children)
In general, a PCP is a Primary Medical Care Provider that helps you stay healthy and helps you avoid unexpected health problems. Hence, it is essential to choose a PCP with whom you can talk freely and confidently about your health issues.
Determine your needs:
It is important to select a Primary Care Physician based on your current health and personal needs. The following questions will help you to determine your needs.
- Does your health condition require a Physician in a particular specialized field?
- Should the Physician's office be closer to your home or your work?
- Do you prefer a Physician who speaks a specific language?
- Do you want a Physician who can be reachable anytime?
Based on your requirements, find Primary Care Physicians that fit your criteria by asking your health insurance company, your previous doctor or friends, neighbors, and family.